Wednesday, March 16, 2011

He went for it!

From 2011
Coren is such a funny kid. First, he is in love with Lego's and cannot get enough, and second, he will do whatever it takes to get them.

A while back Coren found out about the new Lego Spinners. He had to have one, but honestly he has been so spoiled lately that I turned him down. He cried for a minute and then disappeared. A little while later he came upstairs and showed me what he had made. He had actually created his own Lego Spinner with the lego's he had. It was pretty amazing and it spun really good and everything. He had perfected the thing! I was so proud of him.

A few days after that he came to me again wanting a Lego Spinner, the real one. He just couldn't let it go. I told him the only way he would get one is if he earned the money for it.

He came up with a brilliant idea. He was going to make a cake and sell it to someone for $20. I busted up laughing. He was very serious and said, "They are twenty bucks at WalMart!"

We thought about it and decided to make cookies and he could sell them for .50 each. It seemed a little more reasonable to me. I thought that there was no way he would actually go and sell them door to door, he is kind of shy sometimes. I guess his determination took over and he was on a mission to sell his cookies.

We wrapped them up and put them in a cute little basket and I made him a note that he could show people if he was too shy to talk. I was shocked when he walked out the door.

His nice sister went with him, but he did all of the talking and selling. He was so excited when he came home with enough money to buy his Lego Spinner. It was a great lesson for him, and I am SO glad I didn't just go and buy it for him.

He got his Lego Spinner home and gave it a try, he was surprised to find out that the one he made at home worked better than the one he bought. Another great lesson.

1 comments:

Britta said...

Brandi, you are so good at those great real-world lessons for your kids. This is an awesome story! Love it!