Monday, August 2, 2010

Vail Colorado

I was lucky enough to have this good lookin guy take me to Vail Colorado for the night. It was a work trip, or should I say an hour of work and a night of play, but we for sure made the best of our time.
Our eventful trip started out by going to a bid for Steve's work. It was crazy and stressful, and I felt so out of place! We didn't get the official bid from his office until 10 minutes before the bid, so we were in his truck printing it out and stuff at the last minute. Then we rushed in, lost the bid, and ran back out. Well, the keys were locked in the car. I just started to laugh. Steve shook his head. Then I pointed out that my window was down a little, and Steve unscrewed the antennae and broke us in. Problem solved. I knew we could break into it. We are professional criminals after all!

Next we went on the hunt for a hotel. And, may I just say that we found a great one. Right in Vail Village, the best location ever. So dang pretty!

Later that day we rode the gondola up to the top of a mountain. We did lots of hiking and sight seeing, ate some yummy food, watched the sun set, and just relaxed and watched a band play.

Hiking at that elevation is just crazy and so hard. It was hard for me to believe that we did a half marathon there last summer. I nearly died just hiking this year. We found this really cool looking out house and took some self photos in front of it. Our camera is wedged between two trees. They actually turned out pretty good.

If you have never seen Vail, you are missing out. the pictures are not even half as pretty as it really is.
I was playing around in this meadow and then we saw a freaking porcupine.
I was SO freaked out! I thought that porcupines shoot at you. So I took off running and all of the sudden I felt this huge pain in my butt. I started to freak out thinking I had been shot by the dang animal, and started to scream. However, it was just a butt cramp... phew!
After the hike we relaxed on a rock, and watched the sun set. It was amazing!



Then we had a very exciting ride down on the gondola, and a nice walk back to the hotel.
This was the view from our hotel window! So pretty!
So we decided that we wanted to hit the hot tub, but it was closed. So I sent Steve down to ask the guy at the desk if he would just give us the key. He said no, but gave us a hint that we could just hop the balcony of our room if it overlooked the pool. Well, it didn't really, but we figured we could get there from the roof. So we jumped off the balcony and onto the roof. We then climbed over that little mini railing in the below picture and we were at the pool!


So we did some hot tubbin and then went out the door and back to our room. We get to the room and I realize that I locked the deadbolt before we left. WE WERE TOTALLY LOCKED OUT of both our room and the pool. I just started busting up laughing. Steve just looked at me and said, "why do you laugh?" and I kept laughing. So off he goes.

About ten minutes later he is still gone. I am just standing in the hall in my swim suit all soaking wet. Some old guy (like 85) walks up. He starts to check me out. NO JOKE. It was so sick. So I felt all awkward and said, "I did something bad." And before I could finish he says, "If you are going to do something bad, then come to my room!!" I just look at his wife (Oh yes, she was there) and she says, "That would embarrass her Grandpa." It was a weird experience. So I tell them the story hoping they would let me jump off their balcony so that I could save the day, but they were on the other side of the hotel, so no luck.

Finally Steve opens our hotel room door and hurries and comes out and then shuts the door. He grabs my hand and says, "Come with me, you get to experience the same humiliation I did." I explained that I couldn't go in my swimsuit, but he keeps pulling me. So off we go through the lobby and out the front door of the hotel. There I see a ladder!!! Yes, a ladder. So he found a ladder and set it up in the entryway of the hotel. He then climbs through one of those holes you see below and gets onto our roof. He climbs over our balcony and into our room. So I was laughing my head off. He is so funny. I told him that I would have just went to the front desk and confessed and got the key to the pool, but whatever!

Once we got to our room, I look off the balcony and realize that the security station to this whole place is right by our hotel, and all of the security guards watched this whole thing go down. See the brown shack below? They sat there and watched us!
They saw us go off our balcony and climb over a railing and to the pool. Then they watched Steve set up a ladder and climb onto the roof of the hotel and into our room. What were they thinking??? Below is the view from where they were sitting. It is just crazy to me.
Anyways it was a great over-nighter. Thanks Brad and Andrea for watching our kiddos!

2 comments:

love bug momma said...

YOU are seriously HILARIOUS!! And I thought the gondola ride was the exciting part of your vacation....

Mare said...

I love your crazy Vail adventure! Sorry we didn't get to see you guys and that you lost the bid!