Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Grandma goes joyriding!

Today my brother Zak and I went to visit my Grandma Slotboom.  She has been really sick lately, and is having heart failure.  It is always nice to visit with her because she is so funny.  She told us this story today, and I just had to write it down.  It is one of those things that will always make me laugh, and hopefully make my kids laugh someday.

Grandma doesn't drive.  I am not sure why... well, I think it is because she panics a lot and gets lost, not to mention she doesn't have a lisence.  But... sometimes she gets a wild hair and steals the car.  It happened once a few years ago and the cops brought her home.  That is a story for another day.

This time, just a few weeks back, she got permission from Grandpa to drive the car around the parking lot of their apartment two times.  She was pretty excited.  She loaded her dog into the car, and they were off.  Grandpa said he started to worry after about 5 minutes when she wasn't back.  Grandma said that she started driving and, "IT JUST FELT SO GOOD SO I KEPT GOING!" 

About an hour later Grandpa called my Mom who rushed over.  They called hospitals thinking she may have been in an accident (she has had some accidents in her day) and called the police.  Nothing.  Grandpa was so scared that he was shaking.  He said the he was so worried about her.  Him and my Mom were both so upset.

In the meantime, Grandma is cruising the streets of Centerville lost as can be.  She said that she started to panic, and so did her dog Molly because she could tell that Grandma was panicked.  Finally, she asked a boy walking down the street how to get home, and he showed her the way.  She was just about a half block from home.

She walked through the door about an hour and a half after she set out on her adventure.  Grandpa was so happy to see her.  My Mom yelled at her.  The next day my Mom called and said that it was actually kind of funny now that she thinks about it.

Grandma said that next time she gets to drive she is just going to go to WalMart or somewhere that is a straight shot.  Grandpa said that she put 21 miles on the car.  So she was going about 10mph around Centerville for an hour and a half.  Grandma giggled the whole time that she told us the story.  So did we.

And no, the cops didn't give her a ticket.

1 comments:

Mare said...

That is such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it - it made me giggle too!