Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mt. Olympus Hike

I have been on a lot of hikes in my life, but I have to say this was the hardest I have ever done.  You know you hear on the news a lot that hikers are stranded on the top of Mt. Olympus and they are having to be rescued and you laugh.  Well, I won't be laughing any more.  It is a tough hike.  The trail is unrelenting and so rocky!  It seems to climb forever and there is not any shade to protect you from the sun.  But, it was our goal to make it to the top and somehow we did it.  I think we all wanted to quit at one point, in fact I know we did, but the kids were amazing.  I won't say that there weren't any tears, because there were from all of them, but they were determined!

When we made it to the saddle (the point between both peaks) I wanted to stop so bad.  I was exausted and I was worried the kids were way past done.  Everyone else was turning around there.  We all talked it over and decided to make it to the top.  There isn't a defined trail to the top, just huge rocks that you have to climb.  In fact someone asked us if we had our ropes.  The whole way up I was wondering how we were going to get down. 



We finally made it to the top and the view was amazing.  There is a mailbox up there with a book that you sign your name in saying that you made it.  I made sure to put the kids ages in the book, I was so proud of them for making it up!  They were so excited!










Usually the hike down is easy!  Not on this trail.  It is so rugged that you have to fight your way down.  Our bodies all hurt so bad, even mine and Steves and we are in decent shape!

I am so proud of my kids.  If we never climb to the top of Mt. Olymus again it will be too soon, but we made it and that is what counts!

0 comments: