Friday, July 9, 2010

We be JAMMIN'

I am so dang proud of myself. I made jam! I know to some people this isn't a big deal, but I have never made jam, or canned anything in my life.

I am on a HUGE no HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYPUP thing. It is so bad for you. I have read tons about it, and research shows that it totally tricks your brain, and this may be the leading cause of obesity. It is in everything because it is such a cheap sweetener, but it is NOT GOOD. When I realized that jam had tons of it, I decided to make my own.

I have to admit it was pretty easy and it tastes SO good. I made strawberry first. I did it two ways, freezer and canned. The freezer was way easier, but it has more sugar and my family didn't like it as well.

Then I made raspberry and blueberry. I made the blueberry weird, so it didn't set all the way up. I now call it blueberry syrup and it is beyond YUMMY!

Next I am doing peach. MY FAVE!

1 comments:

Mare said...

YAY! Good for you! BTW, I've learned that you can can the peaches, and then use the skins and the bruises for jam. (Kind of like using ALL of the deer indian thing).

I've got a great recipe for peach jelly on my recipe blog you might want to check out. It took grand champion at our fair!! No one could believe it was from the peels.
www.triedandtruefavoriterecipes.blogspot.com Search under peach jelly. Can't wait to see how your other canning turns out!