Sunday, June 21, 2009

Run the Rockies

While we were in Colorado we ran a half marathon.  I was totally trained to run a half, but this one was unique.  It was at an elevation of 9700 feet.  I was a little nervous about that because I knew that I would not be acclimated to that elevation, but I agreed to do it anyways.  I am just smart that way.

Steve had met some friends while living down there, and the guy was running the race too, so his wife was kind enough to watch our kids.

We sat at the start line and chatted with a guy.  He was telling us that he had been training at 10,000 feet to get ready for the race.  I told him that I had been training at 4,000 feet.  He looked at me really funny, like he thought I might die.  I looked back agreeing.

Photos courtesy of Makenna
I have to admit that this was the most scenic course that I have ever ran.  It started out with 6 miles of downhill that ran on a trail through the mountians.  It was awesome.  At the bottom of the downhill I started to have the itch, and left my lovely husband behind.  He was glad to see me go.  He hates it when I start to get all antsy.  

I thought I was running really strong, and that I would finish around 1:45, but apparently I didn't account for the lack of air in my lungs.  I felt strong, and ran pretty hard, I'd say medium hard (I kind of slacked to save energy for The Wasatch Back Relay that was 6 days later) but in the end was shocked to see my time of 1:59.  I guess that I should have given it a little more, and probably ditched Steve at the beginning ha ha ha (he knows I love him).  

Steve crossed 14 minutes after me and was beat.   He ran good and strong, and the last half of the course was tough.  He was happy to be done.  Me too.
It was a fun race, and I am glad that we did it.  Would I do it again....  Um, sure, why not?

1 comments:

Kara said...

you guys are awesome. One day I will be there! It looks so pretty from the pictures. Glad you did it!!