Saturday, January 24, 2009

About car seats.

The other day I was talking to my sister about car seats.  We were trying to figure out when our kids would be able to ride without one, and exactly what the laws are these days.
We figured out that based on today's laws, they had lots of time left to ride in a car seat, and that they may never be able to get out if the laws continue to get stricter.  Based on Utah law, Makenna should still be in a car seat (she is 10), and that she may in fact have to bring her booster on her first date!  It was kind of funny to think that when we were kids we would lay on the floor of the car and drive to California, we never even considered that we should buckle up!

The law states that a child should ride in a car seat until they are 4'9" and 80 pounds!  And, they should ride in the back seat until they are 15.

Here is what that means to me:  I am only 5'3", which means that if they keep adding a few inches each year, I may need to soon ride in a booster seat.  If that happens, Steve has vowed to trade me in for a taller woman (rude!).  If that happens I am going to feel like a complete fool.  Here's why:

For the first time I would feel crammed in my car.  My head would hit the ceiling, but my feet would not reach the peddles.  I would not go anywhere because I would have quite a complex pulling up to a girls night out in my booster seat...









...especially when I tried to get out of the car and it was stuck to my booty!




I mean seriously!  What are these people thinking?  Then there is the issue of riding in the back seat until 15 years old.  Isn't that when they get their learners permit?  So after 15 years of being a back seat driver, you welcome your child into not only the front seat... but the drivers seat?
 "Well, today two big things happen son!  You get to move into the front seat, AND start to drive!"
 That seems strange!  

What was even stranger is that I left the booster in the front seat of my car, and Steve drove in it!  His head was bent and he could barely move... but off he went.  I think I am ready to trade him in.  WHAT A FOOL!

4 comments:

dennisandsong said...

You both are seriously nutty!! I like your photos!

Rachel said...

haha. your posts are always so funny! how do you come up with this stuff? Seriously....

Anonymous said...

It is quite ridiculous. You make a very good point!!

amelia said...

Shake that booty! So hot with the booster seat attached! Yeah, it's pretty crazy! Some girls & boys aren't even 80 lbs going to Jr. High. Are they supposed to bring their booster with them carpooling?

If I'm ever looking for a good laugh, I come here :)