Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Got eyes?


It isn't one of those "be nice to your sister" or "clean your room" kind of things.

It is one of those, "I am going to cut some of you off" kind of things.

I know.  I need to take control and just tell the kid that once your hair completely covers your eyes, it is pretty mandatory that we cut it.  It just isn't that simple.  To a kid like Coren, your hair is a huge part of you.  He loves it.  He thinks it looks cool.  So for me to just start chopping it off is pretty abusive, especially when he is crying and upset.

He only lets me do it, and I am not good at it, as you can see.  But he now has eyes again.  Sunday at church I noticed that he looked like a blind child.  I couldn't see his eyes.  Not one bit.  I leaned over and told him that he might enjoy seeing the world and all of the beauty it has to offer.  To my delight, he gladly accepted.  

We got home and started the process.  When I say process, I mean it!  First, he must stand up while I cut it.  Second, he has a talk with me the whole time we are getting ready to make sure that I know what I am doing, and that it is going to look OK in the end.  I never make any promises.  Third, I start to cut and he says, "You are taking all of my hair.  There won't be any left!!!"

In the end, I saw two eyes.  I had forgotten what they looked like.  I smiled and said, "I forget how pretty your eyes are!"  He immediately went cross-eyed!

1 comments:

amelia said...

i LOVE his hair! do you cut it yourself? it looks so great!