Friday, March 20, 2009

Red Ribbon Week

This week at school it was Red Ribbon Week.  The kids are taught all about saying NO to drugs and alcohol.  They started out the week in red.
That night they came home from school telling us all about what they had learned, so we sat them down and I gave them a massive speech on why they should not do drugs or drink, and why they should exercise and eat well to keep their bodies healthy.  It was pretty intense, but I think that they got the point.  I think even Steve was scared.

**Before we started I pulled Steve aside and told him that I wanted to let the kids taste beer.  I figure if they taste it now and see how sick it is, then they would never want it later in life, and they would not be curious about it.  Steve started laughing at me and said, "You want to sit the kids down and tell them not to drink beer, and then give them some for dessert???"  I did.  He thought it would be better to leave one on the counter and let them sneak some.  So I said, "Then we are teaching them it is better to drink it behind our backs!"  We never figured it out, so for now our kids have not had beer.  We think.  I guess it would be bad if at the first AA meeting they said, "My Mom gave me my first beer at 4... it was part of family home evening."

Next was crazy sock and hat day.  Carson wore some of Steve's socks, and Kenna wore some green fuzzy ones.  Carson thought he was so funny!
Last the best was crazy hair day.  They have been looking forward to this all year.    We went with green.  When we pulled up to school Carson hid for a second.  Then I told him I saw another kid with green hair inside the school, so he just jumped right out.  Man, he is easy.


The kids have promised me that they will never do drugs, drink, or be couch potatoes.  I am holding them to it!

0 comments: