Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Taking a break...

Had to step away from the twelve days deal to say...
WHAT THE CRAP?
I need help understanding this. Maybe I am just a little too slow, just like people have been telling me my whole life, too slow to grasp this concept. So please help!
Isn't CHRISTmas a celebration of the birth of CHRIST?
CHRIST was real, right? I mean whether you choose to believe his teachings, he was a real person. He walked and talked and for those the believe, taught us, and died for us.
SANTA is a fraud. I mean he is real, if you believe, but he is me and he is you. He is defiantly worth believing in, but we do not celebrate him, right? He is kind of an economy booster, and something exciting to HELP us remember the GIFT that CHRIST was to us. RIGHT?
So why then... WHY?... do I hear people telling their kids that SANTA is real and to believe in SANTA but that there is NOT a GOD and NOT a CHRIST? Are they dumb or am I?
I would never teach my kids to believe in someone that is NOT real. One day they are going to figure it out, like they always do. Then the excitement is over. You misled them, and life goes on.
But what about CHRIST? Teaching your kids not to believe in someone that was real. Again, I get that everyone does not believe that he was sent from God and all that, but no-one can dispute that he was a real person, right? Or can they and I am just missing the boat, again!?! The could at least MENTION that we celebrate CHRISTmas because of a man named CHRIST and give a brief explanation of who he was. RIGHT? You don't have to worship him to mention him and the history behind him.
So you teach your kids not to believe in GOD and CHRIST and then what? They worship Santa? They worship black Friday?
The other week I was teaching my Primary Class and I asked all the kids what they wanted for Christmas. The lists were LONG!! Then one girl just said, "I just want a picture of Jesus. That's all." I kind of laughed and thought to myself that her parents had done a great job with her, but then it hit me... the rest of the kids didn't really associate CHRIST with Christmas. Mine included... me included...
It's sad really. I keep thinking about this whole Christmas thing and the whole Christmas concept. It is kind of bugging me. Target and WalMart are happy, but I am bugged, and I wonder if CHRIST is bugged.
I am not a religious person per say, but I am so bugged at the people we are becoming. I am ALL about gifts, BRING ON THE GIFTS, it is so much fun, but I think we are missing the point. REALLY missing it. By a long shot. I wish that my CHRISTmas list had a picture of CHRIST on it, and if it didn't that I would call it a SHOPmas list instead. Because without CHRIST in CHRISTMAS it is basically just that SHOPmas SHOP(alot)<--- mas = alot in espanol!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

You and I are on the same page. I feel the same way! Well said.

Mare said...

thanks for your post. You are RIGHT on!