Sunday, August 31, 2008

Big Hilly Race!

I have very appropriately named this race the big hilly race.  Why?  Because you were either running straight up a hill or straight down a hill.

My friend Heather told me a few months ago that she wanted to do a Half Marathon with me.  She said that she had found one and I checked it out online.  I agreed, and then when I later realized what the course was like I realized that I was crazy.  This race is a canyon race.  The first four miles takes you up a four mile canyon.  It is steep and very unforgiving.  There are no ups and downs.  Just up.  Then once you reach the top you run straight down a big hill for two miles, and then continue down a winding canyon with a little more uphill at the end.  Heather wanted to go and try to run some of it last week.  I didn't want to in a way because I didn't even want to see it.  I knew it was bad.  But, I went, and WOW, my concerns were valid.

Race day came quickly, and of course I was slightly injured so I was a little nervous.  But, I had to do it.  I have a hard time quitting, no matter how stupid I may be.

The air was very brisk as I stretched out while in line for the toilet.  The smell was bad, and some soft music was playing in the background.  My stomach was nervous and I could see concern in Steve's eyes as he stretched out next to me.  He  was looking at the hill in front of us and was very calm yet sure.  I am sure that he was wondering why I make him do these things, as he has made it very clear that he does not enjoy running.  I knew he would do well.

We found Heather and made our way to the start line.  I love the intensity of the people at the start line of the race.  It is quiet, and people are in a zone all their own.  I was talking to Heather telling her not to expect much of me, and the gun went off (Well actually they just said to go for it).

We started up the four mile stretch of hill that I had been dreading.  My leg felt OK, which was great and Heather and I moved to the left of the crowd and starting passing people.  I LOVE THAT!  My favorite is passing men and women who look like they are in great shape.  We ran strong and cruised up the first hill.  At the top of the hill you reach a fork in the road.  If you go straight, it appears that the road heads down, and if you turn left, you go up another huge hill.  We turned left.  As we were doing our turn around I saw Steve reaching the top of the hill.  I couldn't believe it.  I was so proud of him and how hard he had worked.  

My throat was so dry from my head cold and I was so sad that they didn't have water for us at the top of that hill, but I got over it and went for the next two mile hill.  We started up and I was so cold and tired.  My arms were numb from the cold and my muscles were sore.  I kept seeing people walk and I thought of how great it would feel to walk for a minute, but I couldn't. 
Heather did a great job at keeping us cruising and passing people, and after what seemed like forever we finally made it to the top.

The first thing I saw at the top was Makenna waiting for me with a very intent look on her face.  Her job was to give me my GU energy gel, and she had taken it very seriously.  I grabbed the GU and ran to the water.  I felt so much better after a drink.

Next was the downhill that I had been dreading.  I have bad knees and so I was nervous that they would kill me.  I have been training on hills, but this hill was nine miles long.  We talked, and talked, and ran, and ran.  Each mile we would check our time.  I think that we were both shocked at how fast we had made it up that canyon.

I was pretty impressed!  We were making great time.  Occasionally the paparazzi would pass us and take photos (thanks Steve) and we would get cheered on a little bit.

Soon we reached the last 4 miles of the race.  We were running at a great pace and I knew that soon Makenna wou
ld be running.  I started to pay attention to the road and realized that Makenna's leg was not quite as simple as I thought it would be.  It had some uphill in it, but I knew she could make it.  I thought she would have to walk some, but I knew she would do alright.  Luckily the cops were doing a great job with traffic, which was my big concern, so I was very relieved.

I think that there were a few times either Heather or I said that we might slow down (mostly me) but we NEVER did.  I guess that is why I am so sore today.

We were almost to the finish line and that last mile seemed like
 forever.  I think that part of the problem is that we weren't sure where the finish line actually was.  We saw it ahead and I was SO happy.  I looked at the clock and I was shocked to see our time.  We had done a great job and I had far exceeded my time goal.  I wondered if I would make it, and when we finally crossed I was so relieved.  Somehow my Mom and Dad didn't see my cross, which was probably my fault because I changed my outfit last minute and they were looking for the orange shirt I had told them to watch for.  Steve and Emily missed me also, but we all found each other and waited for the star of the race to appear.  Makenna.

When I first looked into this race I read that they were doing it both as a Half Marathon or a Relay Half Marathon.  Makenna had been wanting to run a race and so I thought that this would be perfect.  I suckered Steve into doing it and our awesome friend Emily.  Those tw
o aren't really runners but they agreed with some minor coaxing.

Makenna had been very excited but didn't train as much as I wanted her to.  It made me nervous, but I figure that anyone can walk 3 miles.

Steve got the first leg, the big nasty four mile hill.  His goal was not to walk, and he far exceed that.  Emily had the five and a half mile down hill leg which she ran like a champ, and Makenna finished it off.  

They were so amazing.  Not only did none of them walk, but they cruised!










Makenna crossed the finish line in two hours.  When I saw her coming I almost started to cry.  She had worked so hard, and I was happy that she had amazed not only herself, but so many other people.




Team "In it to win it" crossed the finish line together.

They were very proud of their accomplishments and Steve announced that he wished that he would have ran the whole thing.  He has agreed to run the Salt Lake Half with me next April.  He will do great.  Honestly that race is SO SO SO much easier than this one.  Makenna's self confidence was through the roof which accomplished one of my goals.  She was number one.

Me and Heather stumbled across the finish line at 1 hour 47 minutes.  I placed 5th in my category and she placed 7th in her category (I guess being old does benefit you sometimes).  Considering that hill, I think we did an amazing job.  I am so glad that Heather ran with me.  Our talking kept my mind off the pain, and we had tons of fun.  

I am so glad that my parents came to support us.  I am so glad that my husband, daughter, and BFF (who does so much for me, I need to take it easy on her for a while or she might find a new friend) agreed to run with me.  It was a great day!

6 comments:

Kara said...

Wow nice work! You are a mad woman! I love it! Congrats to Makenna too, that is so awesome!

Clint and Shari said...

Congrats to the three of you! I admire anyone who could run like that.

Brooke Jesus said...

That's so good! Makenna looks beat, but so proud at the same time!! She makes me want to get my butt in shape! You guys are all out of control!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! I can't believe you guy can do that! It makes me feel very lazy!

Tanya said...

WOMAN.....You are seriously my idol!!!!

Mandy said...

That is awesome! Everything about it, you and your speedy legs, Makenna doing so great, Steve wanting to run a 1/2 (huh?) What a successful day!