Thursday, October 16, 2008

Maybe...
       IF I look like a great runner
       If I act like a great runner
       And if I feel like a great runner

                         ...I will be a great runner

The race day game plan; straight from the mouth of a confident, well trained, and hopeful runner, who is also scared, nervous, and hopeful that she is a confident and well trained runner.

Yes, the mental game is on, and just as much as one needs to be physically trained for a race you need to be in the game mentally as well.  I have struggled with that this week.  As race day nears, my doubts have grown, and I have found myself wondering things like:

     - Do I even know how to run?
     - I think I am out of shape... Am I out of shape?
     - Am I hurt?  I feel random pains coming out of the woodwork.
     - Am I fast?  Maybe I need to run slow.
     - Is my plan crazy?  Should I change my race plan?
     - Am I getting sick?  I think my throat hurts... wait it doesn't, but it might!
     - What if the weather is bad?  Can I run in bad weather?
     - Should I wear that?  Should I wear warmer clothes, or cooler clothes..

And the list goes on and on.  At any given time of day, my concern may change.

Luckily, I am starting to get my confidence back.  I have been talking myself through it, and DUH... Yes, I can run.  I am a runner.  I have been training, and working, and preparing for this race.  I am ready.  And I will do well.  I will hurt, yes, it will hurt.  Running 26.2 miles is not supposed to feel good and I don't want it to.  If I am not hurting by the end, then I have not given it my all.  I better hurt. 

The plan:

-Wake up (if I ever slept)
-Eat some toast
-Scream a lot (you know just little random freak out yells from time to time)
-Get dressed
-Listen to Steve re-assure me as I freak out.  (Oh wait, I will be calm and confident!)
-Stretch out
-Go to the start line and see if my stomach has millions or billions of butterflies
-When the gun goes off...  run like the wind (well, at about a 9 min mile... so I guess I should say run like a breeze)
-At each aid station drink 2 swallows of gatorade (I know, I know, weird)
-Gu at miles 8 and 16
-HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed) pass up all of the toilets without using them
-The crowd will go wild as I run past (Steve, that is you...)
-And then at the end I will have so much energy that I will speed up
-Then I will finish and be so happy (hopefully under 4 hours)

And that is the plan.  Now, if by some chance things do not go as planned, and maybe (just maybe) I die, I EXPECT everyone to attend my funeral.  At the funeral, please allow yourself plenty of time as I KNOW that everyone will want to talk about how wonderful I was and it could drag on for hours... if not DAYS!!  Do not rush, there is so much to say.  "She was so great... maybe even the greatest.  The world will NEVER be the same..."

On the other hand if I live... and when I finish, Steve will give me the following speech that I have prepared for him to help make me feel really good.

                  WOW, that was amazing.  YOU were amazing.  Never have
                  I seen anyone run so fast, and so hard, and look so good
                  all at the same time.  I wish that I could be like you.  You 
                  are a gold medal runner, and your wish is my command!
                  Let me rub your feet... can I fan you with a giant feather?
                  Can I take your picture?  Have your autograph? 
                  AMAZING SIMPLY AMAZING!

He better say that.  Steve, you better say that.
                 3 days... and counting.

1 comments:

Brooke Jesus said...

Ok, first, you will not die. And second, you will do great, you know you are ready. GOOD LUCK!!!