Monday, September 29, 2008

The Reward

Saturday I had to do my highly dreaded 20 mile training run.  I have not been looking forward to it, but was anticipating the day that it would be behind me.

My friend Heather (who is a much more experienced runner than I am) told me that I needed to have something that would be my reward if I made it through.  Something that I could look forward to on the run.  I thought about it, and the only thing that I could come up with was that having it done would be a huge reward.  But, I was hoping for something amazing.

The entire first half of the run I was racking my brain.  Nothing!  Then, all of the sudden while running around this amazing lake, I came across a chair.

THE CHAIR!
I saw this chair and it was like a light bulb started to flash.  This was it!  The chair looked so comfortable, and it overlooked an amazing view.  I wanted to go and get my kids and bring them to this exact spot and watch them play on the rocks while I rested.

I arrived home, alive, which was a huge bonus.  Steve had the house clean, the kids fed and dressed, laundry and the dishwasher going!  I went around telling everyone how great the run was and that I was so happy to have it done.  I felt so relieved.  I hurried and took a hot bath to calm my sore legs and then I got the kids in the car and told them that we were going to have a picnic by the lake.  They were very excited.

We got to the lake and my butt sat right in that chair.  I put life jackets on the kids just so that I didn't have to worry about anything and they played for hours.  They had so much fun!

THE VIEW!
Makenna immediately went out into the water, even though you can't swim in it (so we got in trouble by security, but who cares?).  She spent the rest of the time freezing, but happy.
Coren brought his caps and cap gun and was shooting at everything and everyone.  He was having a blast!
Sunday I woke up feeling pretty good.  In the afternoon Steve 
told me that I really needed to do a recovery...something.  Either bike or run.  I snapped back that I WOULD NOT be running!  I said that I would be taking a recovery NAP!  So I got a few pillows and a blanket and laid down.  Coren came in with his favorite puppy and gave it to me to sleep with.  He made my day.  It was so cute.  Steve let me sleep for 2 hours (longer then he was supposed to let me sleep), and then when I woke up made me go on a bike ride.  It was for my own good, and we had tons of fun.  We went back to the lake, and the kids loved it.  Again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After the 19th I won't be more experienced than you! You can't do a 2nd marathon 'til I do one :). Sounds like a good reward. I'm all about naps-I can't believe Steve made you go on a bike ride the day after though!
Heather

Walter Family said...

That is so awesome you do all that running! A marathon is something I would love to work up to someday! I just have to get past barely making it to the one mile I do now! LOL

Mandy said...

Ahhh yes, the chair. And the lake. THey are great aren't they? We should go together and both sit in the chairs. That would be perfect! I'm glad your 20 miler went well.

Anonymous said...

My mind can't even comprehend running for 20 miles!
Yesterday at work I was talking to this girl who is a runner about running marathons and I told her that my cousin Brandi runs in marathons and just did a 20 mile run. Like I was a proud parent or something... ha ha ha