Thursday, September 11, 2008

We will always remember.

September 11, 2001 
Terrorists attacked and thousands of lives were lost.
The nation watched in horror as planes struck the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington D.C.
Other planes were intentionally crashed by hero's who sacrificed to save others.
Bodies fell, buildings collapsed, and right before our eyes Fathers, Mothers, Children, and loved ones were taken.
Our nation was forever changed.

Once airlines began to fly again, Steve and I bravely boarded a plane for New York.  We wanted to see for ourselves what devastation had been caused.  We safely landed and walked towards the subway.  The city was very sober, unlike New York on the typical day.  The air was thick with smoke, and you could feel death.  It was like anything I have ever seen or felt.
We made our way to 'ground zero'.  As we walked, we saw broken windows blocks away from the World Trade Center.  Windows were covered in a thick dust of ash, and people were carefully writing messages in the windows to those that were lost and to the terrorists who did this.  Some messages were full of hope and inspiration, other full of anger and hurt.  We didn't know what to write, and so we left our names.  We left our names as a way to say that we were there and that we felt the pain of all Americans.   
We were very surprised at how close we were able to get to the site.  Fences were still going up, and volunteers were still searching for bodies.  Hope was fading, people were searching, and memorials were going up.
Steam was coming up from the sewers.  It was very hot air, and unlike anything I had ever smelt.  The air smelt of dead bodies and fire.  It was hard to imagine that people were smashed under the rubble, or that just days before this area was business as usual.Some knew that their loved ones were gone, others were still hanging on to the hope that they would be found.  Missing posters were hung on every pole, and flowers and tributes lined every road.We saw people crying, praying, and saying good-bye.
Cranes moved rubble, and more smoke would enter the air.  11 days later, the fire smoldered.
Everyone cried.  No-one smiled.  This was something that should never have happened.
My tears flowed when I saw cars still in the parking garages.  It was the reality that these people arrived at work, and never went home.  In the days to come, someone would have to come and retrieve their cars, and leave behind their family member or friend whose body would likely never be found.  They were gone forever.
I hope that I never have to see such a horrible sight again in my lifetime.  I am glad that I was able to see it, because the reality of how bad it was will forever be in my mind.
7 years later we have rebuilt and cleaned up the mess.  Families of the victims have gone on with their lives.  The tragedy of that day will always be very real, and will never be forgotten.  We will always remember.

2 comments:

Walter Family said...

I will never forget what I was doing when that happened. Mike called me to tell me to turn on the news and I saw the replay of the first plane, then I watched as the second one hit. When I watched it I couldn't believe that it was actually real, things like that just don't happen here. It's amazing you went there just after it happened. Your pictures are incredible. Thank you for this post and sharing your experience you had being there. It's really good to have a reminder of what our country went through and to honor all those lost.

Brooke Jesus said...

It doesn't seem real that you took those pictures and was really there... I don't know if I could have handled it. It's crazy.