Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The things we love.

All of us have our 'favorite things'.  For some of us it may be a vehicle, jewelry, our home, a favorite vacation spot, our computer, or any number of things.  Coren loves his bike.  He loves to ride it, he smiles when he looks at it, and he takes great care of it.  At the end of the day, his toys and clothes lay on the floor.  His room is a mess, and he doesn't even bother to put on pajamas.  

His bike however is carefully put away in the bike rack in the garage.  His helmet hangs from its handlebars, and he leaves it ready to go, so that next time he chooses to ride it the bike will be ready and in good condition.
Coren loves to wash his bike.  He likes it free of dirt and wants it to shine.  He takes such good care of it because he loves it so much.  Other things that are not as important to him can lay messy and unorganized, but not his bike.

Normally, Coren would find a puddle and play in it.  This time, he is collecting the extra soap to use to make his bike look extra nice.

As I watched Coren take such pride in the cleaning of his bike I wondered why he is not like this in all aspects of his life.  Why does he take so much better care of this one item?  Does his love for this item completely change his behavior?  After all Coren is not a clean person.

I decided that there are certain things in our lives that mean so much to us that we need to give them all of our attention and dedication.  If we spent equal time and energy in all things in our life, we would never have a special connection to that one thing that means the world to us.

My family means the world to me.  I do not care if I am rich, or if I am famous.  My house may be a mess, my car may not be my dream one.  I may forget to do things, or run late sometimes.  The one thing that I will always take care of is my family.

I want my family to sparkle with joy and love.  If we run out of 'soap' I will always chase it to the end of the driveway and bring it back to them until they have everything that they need.

Like the bike of a 3 year old, I know what I love and I want to take better care of it than anything else in this world.

I am glad that Coren was able to remind me to love the things that are special to me above all else.

2 comments:

KKR said...

It is funny how certain things are taken care of so well. When Talisa's baby got an "owie" she had a hard time! Love pics and story! *also love the poop soup story!

Brooke Jesus said...

I'm a little shocked to read such a touching post after the whole Mexi drama!