Friday, June 20, 2008

How Ironic!

A bird in a bird house... go figure!  

Coren came in today asking for scissors - never a good sign.  When I asked what they were for he explained that he needed to get something out of our bird house.  I made him show me.  Sure enough there was a little bird egg in the bird house that Steve and Makenna made me about 6 years ago.

I looked inside and figured out that I could get it out the hole if I was very careful (I saw that it was already hatched, don't worry, I am not a murderer of birds).


It came out (along with a car, a dead cricket, and other nasty stuff) and Coren was so excited.  He cried when I told him that he couldn't touch it, but it looked like some of the bird was maybe still in there... I don't know it was just nasty!  I let them examine it for a while and I was wondering how in the world a bird got in there and laid that egg, it just didn't seem like it was possible.  Then it hit me...

Last year, my parents found a quail's nest in their yard.

The Mom was gone and the baby's had hatched, so it was basically just a used nest.  My parents decided that it would be a great idea for the kids to take the nest to their schools for show and tell.  They put it in a plastic bag and we brought it home.  So far, no biggie.  Then, one day after the nest had been to show and tell at both schools, I was just in the house doing my thing.  The kids were no where to be seen, and very quiet.  SCARY!  So I went looking for them and found them huddled in the front yard looking at something.

I didn't really think about what they could be looking at , so I strolled over to take a look.  All of the sudden I see this dead bird laying there.  I was not expecting that.  I started to SCREAM like a mad woman and went running as fast as I could all around.  I am not even sure what I said or did, but I know it was one of the moments in life where I was a true 'freak'!  As I am losing my mind and having a meltdown I hear one of the kids say, "We hatched a bird!!!"  And that was my breaking point.  I sent them all in the house and put them in their rooms.  I told them that they could never come out.  

A few minutes later Steve came home.  I was in the house trying to breathe.  He looked around and asked what was happening.  I relayed the story and he started laughing really hard.  He went and got the kids out of their rooms and took them outside.  He couldn't believe I was mad, but seriously I think it was the sickest shock I have ever experienced.

As I looked at the egg today, it looked very familiar, and I suddenly realized where it had come from.  It is a dang good thing that a bird didn't come plopping out of that bird house, or seriously, I don't know what I would have done!  

1 comments:

gildiux said...

Brandiiii
OMG u don´t know how much you make me laugh with this blog, u r sooo funny ,while i´m reading it i pictured in my mind u and the kids doing all those things ....thanks for sharing those stories :-)
i see everything is good there...i miss to all of u a lot...
ohhhh by the way your brother is really cute hahahhah is that the one who makenna one day liked that i go out with?

take care...with love
gilda