Monday, June 2, 2008

What to do, what to do!

So many times I find my self wondering WHAT WOULD A GOOD MOTHER DO??  Today was one of those times.  I went to pick Carson up from school and he was all excited because he had made a pirate hat.  I looked at it and noticed that it had decorative confetti on it, similar to what had caused Coren to be so sick.  Generally when I see this type of confetti, I move it as far away from my kids as possible as soon as possible.  I made a mental note to get rid of the hat ASAP!

Carson and Coren are very close, and Carson knows that Coren feels bad when he sees all of the fun stuff that he gets to do at school.  What happened next was so BAD!  Carson opens his hand and says, "Look Coren, I got you one!"  I look over and see Coren smiling from ear to ear and holding a piece of confetti.  My heart sunk, and I almost ripped it from his hand.  Then I saw that they were both so happy, and I didn't know what to do.  "What would a good mother do right now?"  I asked myself.  I told the kids to freeze and I thought for a minute.  I decided that maybe it was time to get rid of this fear, and that Coren was really smart.  I told them both the story once again of Coren and how it was THIS SAME confetti that caused our nightmare.  He said, "I know, and I won't eat it!"

We got in the car and drove home.  I then took a picture so that we would remember the hat (because it would soon be long gone) and then gathered the loose confetti and hat and put them in the trash.  I still cannot decide if I was a good Mom or a bad one, nor do I know what I will do next time I see them with confetti, but I am glad that I did not spoil their moment, and I am proud of myself for not freaking out.

1 comments:

Mandy said...

Good mom. Totally normal to freak out. Love that you had them freeze so you could assess the situation. I'm going to try that.