Sunday, July 6, 2008

Camping... again!

I survived the bears last time and I had a plan, so I figured we could try our luck at avoiding getting eaten by the bears again.  After all, my plan was fool proof!  Right?

Well, my plan of parking the car directly in front the tent was messed up right away.  The campsite we found was about 100 feet away from our car, so I made sure to have my running shoes available just in case and felt OK about it.  I have been sprinting lately, so I was pretty sure that I could do 30 mph for at least a while, especially if I was being chased by a freaking BEAR!  Positive attitude or wishful thinking?  Not sure.

Then, I told Steve that I was feeling pretty good because we were lower in the canyon than last time.  His response, "It is actually how far back in you are, not how high you are."  So that was frighting, seeing as we were nestled in the woods!  Men really know how to make you feel better, don't they?

The first night things went well.  We watched a movie in the tent, so I just kind of fell asleep without too much worry.

The next morning we went on a hike.  We ran into this ranger who was kind enough to let us know about the Bear, moose, and other sightings in our area.  I felt all warm and fuzzy inside.  NOT!

Later that night, we heard another rustling in the bushes.  Again, it was something big.  Again, Steve re-assured me that it wasn't a bear (even though he couldn't see it) and somehow convinced me that it was a moose.

I got a little bit nervous just before bed and then I was like, "Bring it on you furry large and deadly creatures!  I dare you!  I have dealt with children more dangerous than you!  Seriously.  I have cleaned toilets that could kill me easier than you could!  I have fought way larger battles than this and won!  If you mess with me then... I will run really fast and you will be messing with my husband!  So THERE!"

Next thing I knew, I was awake and alive.  I had made it, I lived!  It was time to go home and we started to pack up.  I was walking down the trail 
to the car and suddenly I was attacked by a huge snake!!!  OK, so the attack wasn't quite this severe, but it did cross the trail right in front of me!  It was big, I will not even lie, and it was close to me.  At any moment it could have slithered right up my shaking body and curled around my neck and that would have been the end for me.  People would have really missed me.  It would have been one of those really tragic and unbelievable deaths that you hear about.  I know that it would have made the evening news!!

I froze.  I tired to scream but nothing came out.  Finally, I let out a loud scream to let Steve know that I was under attack.  By this time the snake had passed and I ran to the car.

Honestly, it is amazing that I survive these trips!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

For me, the snake is way scarier than the moose or the bear. I would have peed my pants right there. I don't do snakes. But it sounds like you guys had fun. We missed you while you were gone by the way.

Isaac and Dallas said...

I hate snakes. What a cool place to camp. I will have to find out where you went. Looks like a ton of fun.