Friday, July 18, 2008

Something good out of it.

Ok, so I don't know from experience, but from everything I have heard serving a mission is not only the most amazing thing that you will ever do, but it is also the hardest.  It is the time in your life that you learn the most, grow the most, and possibly set the stage for your entire life.

I hear so many people question wether they had any impact on the lives of others while they were on their mission.  They wonder if they truly helped anyone, or impacted the lives of others.  How hard would it be to spend every day of your life for two years doing something you totally believe in and put your whole heart into it only to hope that you have had an impact?  To just hope that something good came out of it.

Steve, or Elder Steve Johns, looks like he started out on the right foot.  Here is is with some fellow missionaries drinking what appers to be beer.  I know, it wasn't beer, but how great to start off the mission by wishing it was a beer.  I bet that happens a lot more than you hear about.  It looks like these boys were a little more vocal about it than most would be.  "Here's to the next two years of our lives boys... drink up!"

Then there is that companion that just loves you SO MUCH!  So much that you just stop what you are doing for a little cuddle, and look up.  Not sure what you would look up at, but in such an uncomfortable situation what else do you do but look up?  

Looking at this picture "normal" people might think it is a little strange.  What am I saying?  It's strange, and this man lover is not the good thing that came out of his mission.  PHEW!

When Steve talks about his mission, he has so many great things to say, and stories of so many great people that he met while he was in Chile.  The one name that always come up is Gilda.  She was such a great friend to him.  When his shoes were falling apart and full of holes, she bought him some new shoes.  She always made sure that the missionaries were taken care of, but he was in her area for so long that they formed a great friendship.  In fact, I think it is safe to say that they became family.  Over the years we have had the amazing experience of having Gilda come to visit us and stay with us several times.  We always have SO much fun when she is here.  She is now someone that we all care about very much.  Currently, she lives in San Francisco where she is going to school and being a nanny.  She has so many friends and boyfriends, that it is hard for me to keep current with her busy and exciting life.
The thing that I love about her is that no matter how busy her life is, she always finds time to keep in touch with the friends and family that are so important in her life.  Something that I wish I was better at.  She is full of faith, knowledge, ambition... and of course FUN!  

We all love her so much and wish that she lived closer so that we could spend more time with her.  Luckily, her visa just got extended for 3 years (HORRAY!) and that means that we will be seeing her in October when we go to San Francisco for my marathon (lucky her, she might get to see me DIE!).

Enough about how awesome she is, I could go on all day.  My point is this:  Meeting Gilda and bringing her into our family is one undeniably good thing that came out of Steve's mission.  There are more, but this one is good enough.  We miss you Gilda.  Thanks for EVERYTHING and congrats on getting you VISA!!!!

1 comments:

gildiux said...

wowww thanks so much Brandi....well the story about the shoes was actually a secret between Steve, his companion (in that time elder Caceres) and me but i see... now everybody knows about it :-) hahaha has been so many years since i met Steve mmmmm is better don´t get into details about how much time ago was it :-)we r still sooo young....well when i met Steve i didn´t like him at all...he was kind of a grumpy missionary and i think he thought he was the BEST guy on earth hahhaha...and I knew he didn´t like me too...but with the time we tryed very hard to be friends and i think that worked...after a month having him in my ward i saw the nice side of him...he wasn´t so grumpy and bad....we started to be friends aleluyaa!!!....after his mission when he told me about he was going to get married i was so afraidddd i was going to lose my friend :-( ....but when he showed me some pics of who was going to be his wife i felt she was the perfect woman for him and now i don´t have any doubt about it...for me is a huge bless that the Heavenly Father gave to me ...the possibility that i have to get to know this beautiful family...Steve is more than my friend is my brother and i love him so much, is for the same reason that his family is so important to me, i love you guys and i miss u too...
Steve siempre te he dicho lo importante que eres para mi, que te amo mucho por que realmente siento que eres una parte importante en mi vida, me siento tan orgullosa de tenerte, de ver todos los logros que tienes, de la hermosa familia que has logrado, de la maravillosa esposa que esta a tu lado y los magnificos hijos que el Padre te ha dado. te admiro muchisimo pato malo y agradezco por todo el tiempo que me haz dado y la oportunidad de compartir tu vida conmigo...
thanks again Brandi u made me cry with this post....and obviously i will see you in oct.here in San Francisco .....