Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Adventure!

This may look like the picture of a sunset, but if you look closely, you will see two boys out in this field.  This is the field next to our house.  Last Sunday, Steve and the kids cut through the field on the way home from church.  They spent some time exploring the field, and all of the sudden the boys thought that being in this field was the coolest thing.  Steve has never understood why they do not explore here more, but it is probably because of me telling them about the fox that lives in the field, not to mention snakes and who knows what else!  

Monday night I looked out my bedroom window and noticed that my kids were out in the field.  I sat and watched them for a while to see what they would do and how far they would go.   After a while I brought them home and heard stories about all of the bugs they had seen.  It was strange, because Carson is usually very reserved and does not like to leave his comfort zone, but he was loving the adventure.

Then on Saturday, Carson came running up to me and said that he and Coren had caught a bug.  He said that it was black with antlers.  I asked who picked it up and of course he said Coren.  That was not a huge surprise.  What did shock me is when Carson came back a minute later with a HUGE cricket climbing all over him.  He was just letting it run around his hands and arms, and didn't even flinch!  I almost fell over!!!

I guess that it is good to have Dad's to bring adventure to the lives of their children, I just PRAY that they never bring home a snake, although that reminds me... last summer we did catch a snake in our yard.  This is a funny story.

There was this little tiny snake in our grass (small but still a snake).  The neighbor kids were over and their Mom Colleen.  Of course they got a bucket and wanted the snake, but none of them dared to catch it.  Colleen was like, OK I will get it, and she caught the snake in a little bucket.  I nearly died.  The kids all loved it and took care of it.  I could tell they were attached.  Then of course once Colleen left the snake escapes.  So in a rare moment of outstanding bravery, I grabbed the bucket and caught it!  I was so proud of myself, and of course my kids LOVED me.  That was truly a "Mother of the Year" moment.  So there it is, the story of the first and last snake I will ever catch!

2 comments:

Britta said...

Be careful - it may be a little early to say there will be no more snakes. Your boys are still quite young...

Mama Snow said...

I tell Tate to not run off past our backyard, because the animals will eat him. I never thought he listened until today when Matt was out there with him and he pointed beyond our yard and said, "Don;t go there, the animals will eat you". Matt then came in to ask me why I told him such a thing. Hey not even I want to go back there.....