Saturday, April 19, 2008

Race Day!

After a roller coaster of emotions, I finally decided that despite my injuries I was going to run.  I had spent many hours training for the race, and my goal was to complete it.  I didn't know what the outcome would be, but I knew that I had to try.

The morning started early at about 4a.m.  After a few good hours of sleep my body was awake and ready to run.  Steve woke up around 5 and said, "you look ready, how do you feel?"  I kind of laughed and limped into the bathroom to get ready.  

Just the day before I had decided that my body was too injured to run.  After two weeks of rest and recovery, I was still hurting and not able to walk without pain.  I tried to run in place, and it hurt...it hurt bad!  I told Steve that I had decided that I probably couldn't run and he was shocked.  He knew how hard I had trained and convinced me to just try.  He told me to bring my phone and as soon as the pain was too much to bear, I was to call him and he would come and get me.  I thought about it and knew that he was right.  If I never tried I would always wonder.  Plus, at least if I tried, I would know that I did not just give up.  I didn't think I could live with that.  So at that point I decided that I would run.  In the back of my mind I knew that no matter what I would finish, pain and all.  I chose not to wear a timing chip so that I could just run without pressure, and time would not matter, but unfortunately for me, it does matter and it did matter.

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see
when you take your eyes off your goal"
-Henry Ford

We drove towards the U of U where the race would begin.  I saw part of the course and began to imagine running it.  We found the start line and I hurried and covered my body in icy-hot, got out of the truck, and after Steve's many words of encouragement limped away.  I kept hearing his words in my head, "you are going to do great, I know it!" and thinking man this is going to be interesting.

I felt worried, but at the same time just wanted to get it over with.  I waited in line for the Porto-potty for a half hour.  It was great to hear the excitement of everyone around me.  I only wished that I was healthy so that I could feel that same energy.  The lines were so long.  Finally the race started and I was still in line.  I had to go, so I waited.  I made my way to the start line and started 11 minutes late.  I was at the start line all alone and started to slowly walk.  After a few minutes I was like, OK, it is now or never, here I go.  

"You are going to do great Brandi!  Just do your best, and
then once you've done your best, just try a little harder"
-Emily Lowry


Step one...OUCH!  The pain was there.  It was so bad but I just tried to push it away.  I kept running just one step at a time.  I made it to the first water break at mile two.  The water was gone.  I wasn't thirsty because I was running so slow, but I realized that I needed to pick up the pace if I ever wanted water.  Strangely, my body just set a pace for me.  If I tried to speed it up, my body would shut me down.  At one point I remember thinking, I am not breathing hard or sweating, I need to run faster.  I tried to speed up, but the pain was so intense I couldn't, my body wouldn't let me.

Finally my leg went kind of numb and I became 'auto pilot runner'.  This happens to me all of the time when I run.  My legs just start going, and I have no control.  The race was great, the course amazing, and time went by really fast.  I was keeping a steady 9 minute mile pace and then all of the sudden at mile 10 the pain got so much worse.  It was all I could do to run.  The pain spread into my back and I was aching.  I slowed way down.  I wanted to just run really fast and get it over with but I couldn't.  Finally, I saw the finish line!!!!

As I began to head down the stretch, I saw people lined up forever.  They were all screaming and cheering.  I turned off my IPOD and thought, wow this is what it is all about.  I need to hear this!!!  So I ran.  I could barely move and it hurt so bad.  The street had sections of cobblestone, and when I had to run on those uneven stones, the pain was unbearable.  I think the look on my face as well as the way I was running tells it all.  Finally I crossed the finish line.  It was amazing.  I just stood there for a while and didn't know what to do.  I looked at the clock and thought, "2 hours 10 minutes, I missed my goal by 20 minutes, that SUCKS!"


I was actually afraid to move, because I thought that I wouldn't be able to walk.  Then I hear, "Our marathon winner is coming, he is almost here."  I was like, "WHAT?  Man I am a loser.  That guy ran 26.2 miles in the time I ran 13.1?"  I was shocked.  It was awesome.  I wish I could run that fast!

I finally found a very relieved, proud, and stressed out Steve.  He was so worried that whole time.  He was so great to support me and be on constant standby.  I called him at one point to tell him I was almost to the finish line and he missed the call.  Then when he called back, I didn't answer.  He said he was so worried that I was hurt.  But instead, I made it.

It was a great experience, and I am SO GLAD that it is over.  Now I can begin my recovery and hopefully... I will walk again!

View more photo's at:   MarathonFoto

3 comments:

Allison said...

Good for you, Brandi. I'm so impressed.

Dave Anderson said...

WOW!!! You're awesome, and maybe even a little crazy! :) Congrats on finishing the race!! I'll remember your story when I get tired while running on the treadmill after 20 minutes... Maybe it'll inspire me to keep going. :)

dennisandsong said...

Congrats Brandi, we are all proud of you here and wish we could have been there to cheer you on. Today you are my hero!
Talk to you soon, Song