Friday, April 4, 2008

Shots..

Poor Carson.  We took him to the doctor for his Kindergarten checkup.  Carson is a child who does not like pain of any kind.  If he gets a small cut or hangnail on his finger, he walks around holding his finger for the entire day.  He has gotten a little better since he started riding his bike, just because he has wiped out so many times, but still, he does not like discomfort no matter how big or small.  

I knew that he was a little bit behind on his shots because I had missed his checkup when Coren was in the hospital.  I thought maybe he would have to get a shot or two, but I almost cried when they told me he needed SIX!  The nurse came in with this tray...it looked like more than six shots on the tray.  Carson looked concerned!  He said, "Mom, what are those?"  The nurse was really good about it.  She let him choose between his legs or arms.  He choose arms.  She said, "Will he fight?  If so hold on..."  Of course he will fight, you are about to jab him with six needles lady!  So she started with arm one.  Three shots in the first arm.  He did amazingly well.  Then she moved to the next arm.  He tensed right up, and started to cry.  I think he thought he was done after the first arm.  Arm two was defiantly a more painful one.  After she was done he just held on to me and cried.  He would not let me move him.  It was sad.  After five minutes (seriously five minutes) I told him that we had to get dressed and go.  He would NOT get his cloths on.  Finally he did and we left.  Coren was right there to remind him that his shot last time didn't hurt at all and he didn't cry.  That didn't help!  The next day he would not move that arm, which didn't surprise me.  I did see him at one point look to see if I was watching, and when he didn't see me, hang from the bar on the swing set and swing.  After that he was fine.  Today when he woke up I took this picture of the sore arm.  It is red, swollen, and hot.  I am very proud of him for his bravery.  I think he is getting tougher!

0 comments: